Monday, May 30, 2011

Masterclass with Maya

I had the pleasure at 1 am last night of finally getting to see Oprah's Master Class with Maya Angelo. It was a class indeed! There's just something about Miss Angelo, when she talks there is this light beaming from her. It draws you to her, I think that's that energy thing Oprah was talking about, I have never met this woman in person but her positive energy draws me to listen to her wisdom. She said sooo much and I just sucked it all up. She spoke alot about leaving a mark on the world by leaving a mark on people. "Be the rainbow in someone else's cloud". Ps im ordering her books 'letters to my daughter' as we speak I wanna be her 'daughter' and get more advice/wisdom. 

She also touched on the fact that you have to know yourself....geez do I ever struggle with this sometimes. But her light made me feel like possibly(probably) I already know who that person is but I'm too hard on myself."The real difficulty is to overcome how you think about yourself. If we don't have that we never grow, we never learn, and sure as hell we should never teach."  She said that we are all teachers and I'm a firm believer in this fact that everything you go through in life at face value is at least something you can teach someone else.

Even when she speaks you have to just smile the way her words just seem to flow into each other, every sentence is poetry! I felt like she was talking to me that she would say 'my child why do you trouble yourself so much, why dont you enjoy life and stop worrying.' I felt that she would take my hand and smile and recite a poem that made absolute sense to only me
  Her main message in the class was to treat people well, to see the good in every person, to laugh alot and love life. 
  "The main thing in one's own private world is to try to laugh as much as you cry."   
"Love life. Engage in it. Give it all you've got. Love it with a passion because life truly does give back, many times over, what you put into it." 
"We are all human; therefore, nothing human can be alien to us." 

Her ending quote is what really left an impression on me. She said in essence that 'You should live your life so that when people say your name they dont say 'oh dam, hell' but rather 'what a nice person, she's so sweet, God bless her.'
I can totally try this out. Thank you Miss Angelo for inspiring one of your 'daughters'

No comments:

Post a Comment