Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The ladies of the square table



I grew up watching shows like living single and girlfriends, I always admired and yearned for those group moments where the women would sit around sharing problems, stories and giving their advice on an 'issue'. I always liked the fact that a bunch of women could pass hours away just talking about any and everything with no judgment and a couple of well placed jokes. Fast forward to my 26th year on earth, I'm not really sure how we all ended up together. But one extremely rainy, thunder and lightening, chance of flash flooding night, four ladies gathered around a square kitchen table for mudslides and an assortment of sinful desserts. Thus began the ladies of the square table, a silent Floree wish granted! And we talked about everything, and laughed, and talked and I absolutely loved it. What stood out most for me was when I shared the sentiment that for the rest of 2010 my heart would be closed. I was tired, seeing that it was the latter half of a long ass year, did you hear about my 2010!! But anyways needless to say I was exhausted didnt feel like sharing myself with anyone, anytime soon. But alas the purpose of the roundtable is to share and advise. And seeing that I'm the baby of the table I get to hear the experiences of those a few steps ahead of me. I suppose you are always in the right place at the right time to hear something you need to be told. One of the lady's of the table simply told me not to do it. Don't close down, she said while relating a story that made her think if only I had known. At the end of the night she gave me a hug that I can't ever forget. This hug said I know what you are going through but don't give up. I keep replaying that advice in my head for the moments when I realise why I needed to hear that. That single piece of advice gave me this weird positive you just gotta believe Floree mode. Nights like those remind me of how great life can be if you situate yourself  around great people, sisters, friends. And also that your girlhood desires of female laughter around some alcoholic drinks is definitely not overrated! Cheers to the ladies of the square table.

No comments:

Post a Comment