Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The one


A few weeks ago  I read a blog post on one of the blogs I love to follow Island Style (check it out). There was a really deep poem linked to the post. The subject of the poem was basically about not settling for someone just because time is marching on and you need to have 'the one' in your life. The poet said she was gonna wait for him to come along. I really enjoyed the poem however I tend to disagree with this waiting for 'the one' story. Dont get me wrong dont settle with the next joe blow that comes around because your clock is ticking, no 1 should ever settle. But no one should sit and wait either! I have met alot of women who say they are waiting. And I have met alot of older women who say they waited but he never came. Waiting for the one to me is like Waiting For Godoe. I had the displeasure, at the time, of reading this book in state college. I hated the book found it made no sense.

The whole book was about 2 old men waiting for this Godoe person to arrive. I didnt get the relevance of the book until years later. They were told Godoe was coming, but they never met him, nor were sure of his existence. But someone said to sit there and Godoe would come along. Isnt waiting for the one like waiting for Godoe? How can you wait for someone that may not be coming along the road, passing the bench you are sitting on?
I blame Disney and all those other fairytales that make us think that this white knight is gonna come knocking at our castle door. Some say they pray that God sends the one. Sure you need to pray about everything in your life, but He doesnt drop people from the sky. Case in point dont sit waiting for some magical oops i dropped my things and this gorgeous creature from heaven helps me pick them up and *shazzam* 
A spinster I know once pulled me aside and implored me to not make the same mistake she did. She said she was too picky and let so many men pass through her fingers. While we shouldnt settle for someone because they came around, we also shouldnt turn away someone because they dont match up to our list. I have learnt early out that this list person doesnt exist, a person built exactly to your liking is highly unlikely.  A plain brown paper package can have the best treasure as opposed to looking for a pretty big nicely wrapped box it may very well be empty. If you see something go after it, keep yourself open to opportunity, and most importantly remember good things can come in plain brown paper wrappings with a option to help assemble them piece by piece.
*Disclaimer: I in no way am an expert on this topic, im just saying what I think*

No comments:

Post a Comment